Get To Know Your PC

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Upgrade to Windows 10?

I've been asked for months now about upgrading to Windows 10. Should you upgrade? That's not a simple question to answer. Personally, I'm continuing to use Windows 7 on any computers I consider "critical". I have updated one of my laptops to Windows 10, used it for the last six months or so, and it works well. Looks a lot like Windows 8, but performs much better. Since that laptop originally came installed with Windows 8.1 I consider it a real upgrade in the sense that I can use my laptop with fewer issues now.
Many of the new features of Windows 10 hold no interest for me though. And I'm not a fan of how Windows 10 doesn't give you a choice in updating the system and how certain applications are integrated directly in the operating system. Comparing Windows 10 to Windows 7 with respect to what I use my computers for on a daily basis, I don't feel much benefit to upgrading my other computers (even for free). Overall, Windows 10 is very usable and stable and would be a great choice over an older OS such as Windows XP.

Considering Windows 10 upgrades will only remain free for another couple months (free upgrade offer from Microsoft is set to expire on July 29th, 2016) now is probably the time to seriously consider it if you want to upgrade.


Information on upgrading to Windows 10:

Upgrade to Windows 10: FAQ
Windows 10 upgrade: How-to information on scheduling and notifications

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home